Monday, December 23, 2013

it's ok, momma's got you....

today has been the hardest, most gut wrenching day of my life.  there are no words to describe what i'm feeling, but i feel like i need to get words out so i'm just going to write...

today i lost my son.
i lost the best part of me.
today my son left me, left this world to go to a better one and live with his Father in Heaven.
he's gone.
he's no longer with me and i miss him so much.
my beautiful boy and i were connected, we were one.
i have not spent more than a few hours in a row away from my son for the whole 6 years he was on this earth.
i have never been apart from him as long as i have been today.
i feel lost, and broken and empty and i don't think it's truly sunken in yet.
i feel like i'm missing something.
i am.
with all that said though, i also feel an undeniable peace that's so strong i can't deny it.

my beautiful boy was ready to go.
it was his time.
it was a beautiful release for him.

for the past 3 months he has been suffering every waking moment, with only brief respites of calmness when he wore himself out enough to sleep. and that would only last for short periods of time.
he has been struggling so hard, fighting so hard to just be.
he is the strongest little boy i will ever know.

his perfect little body has been failing him slowly for a long time, but over the last few months has just rapidly been declining at a rate that could not be helped.
by the time we reached the hospital, i knew it was his time.

for his whole life i have always known i would be able to know when that time would come.  i trusted that the Lord would guide me and whisper to me exactly what he needed and when his time with me was up, when his mission here was done.
i have felt that soft whisper for the past few months, but have tried my very hardest to not hear it, that if i could ignore it it would not be true, it would not be real.
i was not ready.  i could never be ready.  i didn't want to ever be ready.
i'm still not ready and it already happened.
when i walked my sweet beautiful boy into the hospital this last time to get his trach, i had an undeniable feeling that i would not be leaving with him.

after his trach was placed and his breathing didn't improve, after being ventilated and able to breathe and realizing that breathing didn't bring him any relief, that breathing didn't stop the suffering while he was awake, it dawned on me that his breathing hasn't been the main issue.  his breathing problems i realize now were more of a symptom of what was really going on, his deteriorating brain disease (whatever that may be) is the cause of his discomfort, the cause of his problems breathing.
i just love him so much and miss him more than i can even try to describe.

this morning i held my sweet boy in my arms as he slowly, peacefully faded away, making a beautiful transition into a celestial world full of peace and light free of all pain and suffering.
i held my beautiful son in my safe arms and reassured him over and over that it was ok, "momma's got you".  i told him it was ok to go and that i would miss him with my whole entire being and made him promise to visit me from time to time.
i slept in his hospital bed last night and had long long talks and long hard cries with him.  he promised me he'd watch over his sister, it was his turn to take care of her like she's taken care of him.
i had the most personal, tender, spiritual experience as my sweet boy slipped away from this world and entered into Heaven.
it's very personal and tender and dear to me, maybe to much to share on here, but i can say that i know for 100% certainty that my beautiful boy is safe and at peace and that i will see him again.  i know that he is with family members that have passed on before, i know he is with my Aunt Kitty who i have never had the privilege of meeting.  i know that he is free of pain and suffering and that his body is perfect and he can walk and talk and breathe.
i know this.

holding my son as he passed from this life to the next was a beautifully peaceful experience, it's the here and now that becomes hard.
my sweet girl is grieving deeply for the loss of her best friend, her little brother, her "Connie".  she is the sweetest, most tender-hearted little girl i know.  she spent last night in Connor's hospital bed with him, taking care of him, washing his hands and feet, listening to his heartbeat, kissing his forehead.  our incredible nurse let her give him his meds.
we had the privilege of having the same nurse the last 3 nights in a row, and she and i had an instant bond, she said she felt on the very first night that Connor had grabbed ahold of her heart.  she was with us last night and stayed on into the morning/day shift just so she could assist with the passing of my sweet boy.
she is my angel.

my dad has been here for me the whole entire time, and i would not have been able to survive without him.
i have relied and been lifted up by the love and support of so many people from all across the country.
i am so blessed to have so much love surround me.
i can feel it all.

i am at a loss for how to go on, but then i look at Aubrey and i know i can and i will.  i know we will do it together, she and i.
she is my everything and i love her so much.

i miss my beautiful boy with every ounce of my whole entire being.
Aubrey told me he's with me, i just have to look up.
i know he is.

i just wish i could hold him.
i just long to hold my sweet boy.
my arms feel so empty without him.
i know life goes on, life moves forward, i'm just not sure how yet.
but i will figure it all out, in time.

i love my sweet boy, i miss him dearly.
i hope he knows how much mommy loves him.
i hope he knew how hard i tried.
i hope he is looking down and smiling, his first 'real smile'.
i believe he is.
<3

30 comments:

  1. Oh there are no words. You are one of my heroes. I am sure Conner is showing everyone he meets that YOU are his mother. He is so full of love and gratitude for you.
    I love you dearly, my sweet friend and am so glad Heavenly Father found a tender way for us to know each other. My heart and prayers are with you each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crissy I don't know you but I am friends with Joyce Bush through our church that's how I found your blog. I just want you to know that I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet little boy. Just by what you wrote you are an amazing mommy and God gave your son an angel of a mom to love and raise him. You are right your son is a healthy, happy little guy in heaven tonight in the most beautiful place saving a perfect spot for you and his sister. My heart just broke when reading your words I could feel all the love that you have for your children, you are a wonderful family. Just know from one mom to another you are in my thoughts and prayers, continue to lean on our God in the days ahead you are never alone. Big hugs to you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you gave me your blog address this morning. I have been thinking of you and your sweet little boy all day today. I wish there was something I could say or do to ease your pain. He touched my heart. I will remember that perfect little spirit for eternity. Know he will be loved and remembered. I pray the days will get easier for you. It was such a pleasure to meet you and your family. ((Hugs))
    Love,
    Aletha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, i'm so glad you wrote this. i am eternally grateful for you, and what you did for my sweet beautiful boy. this is all so hard, i miss him so much it just hurts. but it comforts me to no end to know that he was in such good care of such a great nurse. you are his angel here on earth. i can never thank you enough..

      Delete
  4. I'm so so so sorry. I am so happy for Conner that he is done suffering and he is up in heaven smiling down on you and your sweet family. You are such an amazing mother! I can't imagine what you are feeling right now. I am so glad you shared your feelings, you have helped me so much with my trial and Conner has touched my life so much and I never got to meet your precious angel. Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Crissy, As I read your post, by heart became even heavier today. We buried our grandson Lucas this morning. The effects of CHARGE syndrome made it very difficult for him to overcome RSV, and he lost that battle. We can rest assured that our boys are running around w/ strong legs, jumping, laughing and talking as never before. Watching my daughter, son-in-law and grandsons grieve the loss of a special little boy was so difficult, but we must find a way to press on. Please know that you are in our prayers. Mrs. Grohmann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crissy, You are so strong! Please don't feel like you will "get over it." Losing a loved one is a life changing event. Your life will change as you learn to cope with the empty arms feeling. You have carried him far longer than most moms get to carry their sons. You were so lucky. He was such a blessing in all of our lives. Like Pamela said above,"our boys are running around w/ strong legs, jumping, laughing and talking as never before," maybe even with Jonathon and Joshua. Life can be hard, but let others lift you as you have lifted us. Thanks for being a beautiful example of a Daughter of God who loves him and trusts in him.
    Love, Barbara and Robert Knowlden

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have a sweet blue eyed boy with special needs. While I try to walk this journey Faithfully, sometimes it gets hard. Thank you for giving me hope, thank you for restoring my strength and knowing that God has a plan for these special people, and for us as their family. Please know, you've touched my life more than you'll know. Praying for peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for your lose. My heart hurts for you and Aubrey but I know that he will be with you at all times and he is healed and doing all the things his earthly body could not do I imagine him running and laughing and sitting at the feet of Jesus. Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. Conner was so lucky to have you as his mom and Aubrey as his big sister. Your strength amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came across your gofundme site from a friend, and I just wanted to express my deepest sympathies and condolences to you and your family. Words can't express, and I am at a loss to tell you how very sorry I am for the loss of your son. I hope you can find comfort in your faith and knowledge of what we know to be true, at this sad time. My prayer is that you will be able to experience, 'the peace that passeth all understanding', as promised by Christ. Please know you have loving thoughts and prayers for you in Seattle, Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow.. you make me cry like i have never cried before.. The love us mother have for our children is beyond anything else.. my heart bleeds for you and i am so sorry you are going through this.. I love our heavenly father and I also know he is in a awesome place, but yes i agree it is so hard.. :( Prayers your way.. Love stacey Rhodes.. Monroe Utah

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautifully written. I have tears streaming down my face. Such a wonderful testimony of your strong faith in the life after this one. It really touched my heart. God bless you and your family in the hard days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for your loss! I have no words that will make anything better for your or your little girl, just know that he is now your Guardian Angel and will be watching over you and the rest of your family for the rest of your lives!!! God Bless you and your family!!!
    Jaime Dubey and family from Millbury Ma

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry that your boy had to go. Your love is so tangibly strong. I know he knows how much he is loved by you. I can feel it in your words. He is blessed to be deeply cared about by his mother. A priceless gift. One that so few truly receive. You gave him everything. And I pray that your heart can feel peace in the days ahead. Sending my prayers and love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You don't know me, but I found your blog from another one. My heart is aching for you. You will be in my thoughts <3.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you find comfort in the memories and the love of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paul Nahrwold was a missionary in our ward in Thornlie Western Australia, I'm here because of his post on facebook. My heart goes out to you, hope you feel such intense peace and comfort mixed with that loss. Your strength has encouraged me today and I thank you with all my heart. Love to you and your family from the other side of the world

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Crissy:

    Like so many others, we grieve with you. You are a ROCK and such an inspiration to all of us. THANK YOU for your sweet testimony. It is a treasure. Your Heavenly Father is SO PROUD of you and your faithfulness. YES you will be together again - you must endure a bit longer here and if I can ever do anything to assist your continued journey, please let me know. Sheryl's mom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been blessed to have many sweet moments like this in my life--to hold hands with those who are passing on. I can honestly say that I agree--there IS an afterlife. It makes these moments that we have to do the hardest thing in the world just a bit easier. While it will be hard to wait to see him again, he will never leave you. He will watch over and protect you and his sister. He loves you and always will. Thank you for sharing your testimony--I know it's not easy to. You and your family are amazing examples of Christlike love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My prayers and love are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Crissy,
    I was so sorry to hear about Conner. He was such a beautiful little boy. You are such a great mother and example to me. Know that you and your family are in our prayers. Love, Brittanie (Maria's old roommate)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know you but know your pain from loss of a child You and your family are in my prayers Love Janet Orwin Wiese

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found you from Maria's post and I am so, so so very sorry. I can't even imagine and will not even try to write anything other than to please know your family is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found you from Maria's post as well, and I just want to say how sorry I am for your loss. Thank you for sharing this beautiful ode to Conner. He sounds like an amazing little boy. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Much love, Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your deeply tender words for your precious son moved me to tears. I appreciate your strong faith. The love of a mother is never-ending and I pray that you can feel divine peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so sorry for your loss of your beautiful son. Your post moved me to tears. Like you said you know he's in Heaven and free of pain. I can't even begin to understand how you feel. I'm glad I came over to read your post so I could give my condolences to you and your family. You're all in my thoughts & prayers. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  27. I came from Maria's post, too. Words cannot express the feelings your post invoked. I hope you find the peace you deserve. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Crissy, I will be praying for you and Aubrey and your whole family. I have read many of your posts on the CCHS page, as I am one of Lauren's grandmothers. What a beautiful little guy you have. I am grateful for your faith and hope that you will feel the strength of all those who are praying for you and Aubrey.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your beautiful boy with us. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete